These innovative, energy-smart 5 Star Built Green btcc比特币官网homes are located one block to public transit and the neighborhood centre of Rollingbay. Their climate-specific engineering and design are set in a classic cottage framework. Familiar dimensions provide a cozy cottage feel, while behind the walls are 21st century eco-building techniques and materials.
Green Features: After independent testing and verification, the cottages are estimated to be at least 30% more energy efficient than conventional btcc比特币官网homes. Personal lifestyle and habits play a very large part in overall energy consumption and motivated btcc比特币官网homeowners could improve on that 30% estimation. The red cottage, with full southern orientation, has added valuable solar PV and water systems. The btcc比特币官网homeowner receives an annual payment for all kWh produced from the Washington-made PV panels and inverter, estimated at $1500 per year.
Indoor Air Quality
1. HRV—whole house air circulation and filtration system
2. Zero carpeting—no off-gassing of padding or carpet and no collecting of pollutants
3. Low VOC paints and finishes
4. Cabinets and trim with no added urea-formaldehyde
5. Great passive ventilation with operable casement windows and skylights
6. Rain screen siding system with ¾” air gap to prevent moisture problems
1. 2000 sq ft compact designs—efficient use of space and materials
2. 30-year metal roof—very durable and low maintenance
3. Cement board siding—very durable and low maintenance
4. Oak flooring from the U.S.
5. Mineral Wool insulation has very high recycled content
6. Recycled rubber + renewable cork flooring
7. Extensive job site materials recycling
8. No endangered wood species used
Site and Water Protection
1. 1100 gallon cistern (made in Washington) to collect rain water
2. Engineered rain gardens to filter excess storm water run off
3. Stealth toilets use .8 gal/flush—lowest on the market
4. Low flow faucets and shower heads
5. Edibles: pears, apples, prunes, blueberries and huckleberries
6. Natives: salal, cedars, sword ferns, snowberries, Oregon grape, pacific wax myrtle,
wild lilac, red flowering currant
7. Only 25% turf grass to maximize native plant restoration
8. Vegetable garden beds
9. Restoration of site from old growth blackberries to natives
10. Less than 1/8 mile to bus stop and neighborhood center
1. Smart Wall double insulation system with thermal break
2. All natural blown in sheeps wool insulation
3. Eco-Batt fiberglass insulation with natural plant-based adhesive
4. R-26 walls, R-43 ceiling, R-38 floors—all exceeding code
5. Advanced framed walls (2 x 6, 24” o.c.) less wood, more insulation
6. Energy dashboard monitoring system
7. Mini-split heat pump—highly efficient space heating
8. All Energy Star Appliances
9. Energy Star lighting—compact fluorescents & LEDs
10. 3.12 kWh Washington-made PV system and 30 tube Thermomax Solar H2O system
installed on red cottage
Certifications: Rollingbay Cottages achieve highest Built Green level at 5 Stars: better for people and better for the planet.
Certification: Completing three certification programs ensures that these btcc比特币官网homes incorporate high energy efficiency features as well as comprehensive planet friendly building techniques.
Built Green: achieved highest level in program at 5 Stars.
Energy Star btcc比特币官网home: both cottages are certified Energy Star btcc比特币官网homes which means they are projected to be 30% more energy efficient than conventional btcc比特币官网homes.
DOE Builders Challenge: Both houses met the Builders Challenge criteria with E-Scale ratings less than 70.
EnergySmart btcc比特币官网home Scale (E-scale): The E-Scale is an easy-to-understand tool that helps btcc比特币官网homebuyers and btcc比特币官网homeowners make smart energy decisions. It provides clear, objective answers to basic questions like: Will this btcc比特币官网home help me save money on energy bills? How does it compare to a typical new btcc比特币官网home?
The Rollingbay Cottages E-scales are shown at right:
Architect: Russell Hamlet, Studio Hamlet
Builder: Geoffrey Hobert Contractors
10912 Sunrise Drive: 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms; 1964 sq ft
10918 Sunrise Drive: 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms; 1896 sq ft
Completed: September 2011